Wednesday 27 May 2015

Japanese Cuisine Favourites

Morning everyone!

As a teen who loves eating & exploring real food, I had tasted lots of different cuisines from all over the world. I wouldn't say I own a favourite one as each cuisine has their own uniqueness in spices and techniques I love, like French has their Bouquet Garni while Chinese uses soy sauce as their main seasoning. Today, I choose to talk about Japanese Cuisine & my favourite creations of this cuisine.


1.  Chirashi Don

If you're a HUGE fan of Sashimi, this is a must to try! Thickly sliced Sashimi generously topped on a bowl of sakura-seasoned Japanese rice. Mmmmm speechless. It's just too beautiful for my eyes & tastebuds I got to appreciate every bite. So shut up & don't talk to me, let me eat. The one I love best is from Tokyo Grill and Sushi in Grand Rapids, MI.


2.  Sukiyaki 

 Ah, a bunch of fresh greens, mushrooms, tofu & glass noodles soaked in a sweet-salty base. Don't forget the beef on the side! Let it swim in the egg dip then gently place it into the hot pot for a few seconds for heat to do its thing. When it's done, dive in and oh, you flew to heaven for a moment there. It's just amazing. 



Simple but warmly comforting, Chasuke is Japanese dish made by pouring green tea or dashi over perfectly cooked rice topped with savoury toppings such as salmon flakes, nori & roasted sesame seeds. In my country, I have not found a restaurant that serves this traditional creation, but my family often have this at home as it's easy to make. I usually top mine with dried ume, wasabi-flavoured sesame seeds, nori & bonito flakes. Itadakimasu!



If you're thinking "What? Tamagoyaki? What's so special about grilled eggs?" Then you're plain wrong. People don't know that this famous Japanese creation takes YEARS for a chef to perfect, as what Sushi Master Jiro Ono said. His style of making tamagoyaki is different. He doesn't roll it, instead he flips the whole japanese omelette in a squared pan. Yup, it's as tough as it sounds, but a bite of such beautiful food would melt your heart with its soft sweetness & balanced texture. If you have the cash, book a table at Sukiyabashi Jiro now! You can thank me by booking me a seat then picking up my tab. 



Not just any ramen, but Menya Musashi's Tonkatsu Ramen! It's creamy, boldy flavoured with pork bones base gifts you a flight to Tokyo. I remember my first time trying this, my tastebud got stoned for a second as I had never had such a mouthwatering ramen in my life. Plus it's authentic! Sadly I only get to eat this once in a few months as I'm currently broke. Well, at least I took a photo with its Master Chef Yamaguchi! Welp where's the photo...


6.  Taiyaki

Yes, this famous Japanese treat shows that I'm an Azuki lover. This fish-shaped cake stuffed with sweet Azuki red bean paste was a part of my childhood. I recall the kid-sized me saving up coins just to get a piece of Taiyaki from an authentic Japanese store. Well, I would say these are worth spending for! Taiyaki are also filled with other common fillings such as chocolate, sweet potato and custard, but it's original version won my heart. 


So here you go, these are my Japanese Cuisine favourites! Now you know what to treat me if you bring me to a Japanese restaurant (or Japan). If you haven't try these delicacies, what are you waiting for? Hit your nearby Japanese restaurant and satisfy your tastebuds! Don't forget to thank me with a treat aites.

Have a good day, and I'll see you then!

さようなら, Alanis xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment